viernes, 14 de junio de 2019

Journal 4



Journal 4

This week was a tough one. As the days pass away, students misbehave every day. They don't want to pay attention to me. In my first classes, they used to listen to me but now the atmosphere is oppressive. There are some moments when I find myself talking to the air for nobody is listening to me. So, I cry out so as for them to keep silence and it works for some seconds then the mess starts again. So, I had to take the attendance register and call some students to go in front of the board. By my surprise, It really worked.  For the first time, they felt frightened because they felt that at any moment I could select them to go in front of the board. I did not want to do it but I just do it. This made me feel bad but to some extent, I felt that it was my responsibility and my duty to make them behave properly.

Another technique that I was obliged to do was to put the negative points. The students are given a free English book (English please) to work in class. Nonetheless, some did not bring them. They told me that the books are too heavy to be carried. I understood their complaints. However, I told them to work in pair in a reading activity with those who had brought the books. They agreed but when I asked them for some questions form the reading; they were doing nothing. So, I took the attendance list and put them negative points to those who were doing nothing. They felt sad and worry but they gave me no more options but to be severe.



 At the end of the class, I told students in Spanish that I did not want to put the negative points but I was forced to do so. They realized that they were the ones who made the mistakes and agreed to behave, next class.
       

1 comentario:

  1. Hey Diego

    For classroom management purposes, always ask the cooperating teacher to stay present during the whole class. That is important, because students are used to obey and work with her, not for you. The negative points was a good idea, I also use that in my classes and work for the students who care.

    ResponderEliminar